Your Indianapolis home is one of your most valuable investments. You take pride in it and want to maintain its attractiveness and structural integrity. So, choosing the right siding for your home exterior improvement project is important. There are many siding materials, styles, textures, and other qualities to choose from, giving you the ability to select the perfect siding to fit your personal tastes, your home’s unique architecture, and the demands of Indianapolis weather.
There are three main traits to consider as you compare siding options for your home—how the siding will look when installed, the degree of durability and protection it can offer, and the price it will cost in comparison with your available budget. Here is a closer look at each of these three traits, and some details about each that can help guide you in your decision-making.
Your home’s exterior appearance is the first thing guests notice when they drive up to your home. Fortunately, siding is a simple, yet elegant way to improve your home’s attractiveness. Today, there are many options in terms of style, color, texture, and material to choose from. Ideally, you want to select siding that complements your home’s architecture and your personal style.
Keep these facts in mind as you consider your choices:
- Comes in many colors
- Is available in both horizontal and vertical panels
- Tends to have noticeable seams upon installation
- Is preferred by owners of rental properties because it is both attractive and relatively inexpensive
- Offers a natural, organic beauty
- Is classic and historic in look and feel
- Available in different types and grades to fit your style and budget
- Comes in horizontal and vertical panels
- Can be painted or stained for a customizable appearance
- Offers a more elegant appearance than vinyl
- Can realistically mimic wood, stucco, and masonry
- Comes in many styles, including horizontal and vertical panels, shingles, soffits and more
- Is highly customizable
- When installed with expertise, has less noticeable seams than vinyl
Another vital factor in determining the right siding for your home is how long it will maintain its appearance and protective qualities. Wood, stone, and brick all have a natural attractiveness and appeal, but they are more susceptible to wear and tear than manmade materials such as vinyl and fiber cement siding. In addition, different forms of siding have different warranties that you should consider.
- Is quite durable
- Is weather and insect resistant
- Resists warping, rotting, swelling, and expanding
- Can burn up in a house fire
- Can crack or be dented upon strong impacts
- Is easily cleaned with a hose or warm, soapy water
- Is susceptible to sun damage
- Is vulnerable to moisture damage, rotting, warping, and expanding
- Attracts insects, rodents, woodpeckers, and other pests
- Can easily catch on fire
- Needs to be repainted frequently
- Varies in durability depending on wood grain (cedar is the most durable)
Fiber cement siding
- Is highly durable
- Comes with a long warranty, typically 50+ years
- Resists moisture damage, rotting, expanding, and swelling
- Resists chipping, cracking, and peeling
- Resists insects and other pests
- Is certified as noncombustible, meaning it won’t burn up in a house fire
- Is easy to maintain
Any home exterior improvements you make should have a clear budget, so you can effectively manage your project within your financial means. Siding can range considerably in price, depending on the cost of the material, the amount of siding you need for your project and the level of expertise needed for a proper installation.
When you speak with contractors, be sure to request a detailed estimate, and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- Tends to be low to moderate in price
- Is inexpensive to maintain
- Tends to be moderate to very high in price
- Is relatively costly to maintain
Fiber cement siding
- Tends to be moderate in price
- Is inexpensive to maintain
- Tends to last longer than other forms of siding, lessening replacement costs over its lifetime
The Bottom Line
As a homeowner, you must weigh the various traits of each form of siding, as well as your personal needs, to make the choice that best fits your situation. In general:
- Vinyl siding is usually preferred by first-time homeowners or rental property owners who want a cost-effective home improvement.
- Wood siding is often the choice for homeowners who want a classic, historic, traditional look, and who are prepared to take on the high maintenance involved in keeping wood in excellent condition.
- Fiber cement siding is often preferred by those who want a more elegant solution than vinyl, low maintenance costs and efforts, excellent durability, and an impressive warranty.
We’re Ready to Assist You!
When your Indianapolis home’s exterior needs attention and loving-care to look and perform at its best, JD Hostetter is here to assist you. Our attentive, thorough team of experts can assess your home’s unique needs and guide you through the choices of siding available to improve your home’s curb appeal and durability for years to come. Contact us today for a Free Siding Estimate.