As the kids start gearing up for another school year, it’s time to prepare for the fall season. Even though autumn may remind you of football, pumpkin pie, and falling leaves, it should also remind you of an important task: fall home maintenance.
A great way to prepare your home for the winter months is to utilize the back to school season this fall to focus on some important home improvement tasks. Finding the right place to start when working on fall home improvements can be overwhelming – but it doesn’t have to be. At JD Hostetter, we partner with you to care for your home’s exterior with precision work you can rely on, so you can fall in love with your home all over again.
6 Must-Do Home Care Tasks for Fall
Before picking a place to start, be sure to evaluate both the interior and exterior of your home to decide what needs your attention most. Listed below you will find a list of six preventative home maintenance tasks to guide you in your quest for fall home improvement!
1. Clean Out Gutters
Checking your gutters for rubble throughout the fall season is critical due to the large number of leaves and debris falling from the trees. Ensuring that your gutters are not only clean, but also draining properly, can prevent damage to your gutters, roofing, and siding.
2. Changing Window Panes and Checking Window Frames
If you’ve been keeping your windows open to enjoy the refreshing summer breeze, fall is the time to prepare for the chilly winter weather by changing out your summer screens for thicker, weatherproof window panes. While changing your windows, be sure to check for warped, drafty, or broken panes and frames.
3. Touch Up Paint and Evaluate Siding
The fall season is a great time to spruce up the siding on your home with a fresh coat of paint. Before you paint, beware of algae and mildew stains on your siding. Not only are algae and mildew stains unpleasant to look at, but they are also harbingers of trouble. Certain types of algae release toxins that are deemed unsafe for both animals and people. There are several ways to clean your home’s siding in order to ensure the health of those visiting your home and to provide you with a fresh canvas to paint on.
4. Examine Furnace and Chimney
As temperatures begin to drop, the need for an operating furnace begins to rise. Utilizing the fall months to ensure your furnace is prepared for the winter will avoid any malfunctions during the coldest months of the year. The following list is a great starting point for furnace and chimney maintenance:
- Replace or upgrade the air filter in your furnace if you haven’t recently done so. This will keep the warm air clean and the furnace running smoothly.
- Clean and open all air vents to allow air to flow freely.
- Inspect the chimney and remove any accumulated debris.
- Adjust your thermostat to lower the temperature when you know you will be away from home.
5. Replace Insulation
The best time to re-insulate your house is right before the winter sets in. Not sure if you need to re-insulate? Here are a few signs you may need new insulation:
- If your AC is constantly running during the summer months and your furnace is constantly running during the winter months, investing in new insulation may save a significant amount on your energy bill.
- If certain rooms in your house feel considerably cooler or warmer than others, it may indicate the need for new insulation in those particular rooms.
- Pests can eat away at and cause damage to your insulation. If you notice unwanted critters around your home, confirm that your insulation is still intact.
6. Repair Roofing
Ensuring your roof is prepared each fall before the first snowstorm is essential. Although most roofing lasts 13-18 years on average, wind, hail, and other weather conditions may cause roof repair to be needed sooner. Repairing your roof by replacing cracked tiles or missing shingles can prevent water damage in your home. Some roofs require more attention than others, so evaluating the condition of your roof will make sure that you get the best performance out of it for the upcoming winter and beyond.
Home Improvements that You’ll Love All Year Round
At JD Hostetter, we understand that your back to school home maintenance checklist may be too lengthy or complicated to handle on your own. We provide excellent exterior care for your home so you can enjoy the approaching fall season with your family, instead of worrying about the hassle of home improvements. Call us at 317-517-7847 to request a FREE Estimate for your siding, painting or window project and allow JD Hostetter to get started on your home improvement project today.