If you’re like me, you want to make sure you get the best deal on everything, especially when it comes to spending money on your home. Let’s face it, home maintenance and repairs seem to be some of the most unwelcomed expenses we as homeowners have to deal with.
Although the price is certainly something we all want to minimize, the price itself should be closer to the middle or bottom of the list when deciding which Indianapolis siding contractor you should choose to install vinyl siding, James Hardie fiber cement siding or for that matter, any type of siding on your home.
Here are several things to consider:
- Reviews- Today we have the ability to type in a few words and find out what other homeowners have to say about their experience.
- Designations- Does the siding company have an Elite Preferred or Preferred status with the manufacturer they are representing?
- General Liability Insurance and Workers Compensation Insurance- Does the contractor have proper insurance, or more importantly, enough insurance? Workers Compensation insurance in case someone gets hurt or even worse, a death occurs?
- General Contractors License(s)- Does the County or City recognize the siding company as being in compliance, following the proper guidelines, which means that they are probably following other guidelines such as installation practices which effect the siding manufacturer warranty. In the Indianapolis, Indiana market, there are several different Townships that require their own individual Contractors License and permit requirements.
- Referrals- Is the contractor able or willing to provide other homeowners addresses, contact information, etc, if you want to check them out on a more personal and professional level?
Yes, we all must be frugal with our money and try to seek out a competitive price when it comes to hiring a contractor to install the siding on our homes. In fact, these same principles apply when it comes to hiring an exterior painting contractor, roofing, windows, gutters, etc.
A contractor who is willing to run a professional home improvement company of any type and is willing to comply with State and local Governments, have proper insurance coverage and earn designations such as becoming an Elite Preferred Installer with James Hardie or a Preferred Installer with high quality vinyl siding products such as Mastic Ply-Gem or Crane Board insulated vinyl siding might be slightly more expensive than a few guys in a pickup truck, but if the job is completed properly, that little difference in pricing could make for some better sleep at night along with some peace of mind.