It is challenging to love coming home when your home’s exterior paint is deteriorating. Damaged paint severely detracts from your home’s curb appeal and can be a displeasing sight for your family and guests. Since many homeowners are left guessing about the lifespan of their home’s paint, they endure an unpleasant home exterior for far too long.
At JD Hostetter, we understand you want to be proud of your beautifully painted home exterior. It can be helpful to recognize some of the key indicators that your home’s exterior paint is deteriorating to maintain your home’s gorgeous appearance. Here are some guidelines to assist you in determining when to contact a professional painter to freshen up your home’s exterior.
When Should I Paint My Home’s Exterior?
Because each home is different, there is no set guideline for when homeowners should paint their home’s exterior. Your home’s siding or exterior surface material is generally the best indicator to determine your paint lifespan:
- Wood siding – Paint every 3-7 years
- Fiber cement siding – Paint every 10-15 years
- Brick – Paint every 15-20 years
Though helpful to provide a general guideline, your paint’s lifespan is not the only reason you should consider a fresh coat of exterior paint. Many homeowners invest in home exterior paint after they notice the following signs of damage.
- Peeling, bubbling, or cracking paint indicates your paint is no longer protecting your home from rain, sun, and weather damage. A fresh coat of paint can protect your home against the elements.
- Damaged caulking requires replacement when it loses its elasticity. Re-caulking, along with a fresh coat of paint, can protect your home against moisture and pests.
- Discoloration to your home can occur after exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays. When choosing new paint, consider a brand designed to resist UV rays to preserve the longevity of your home’s color.
Important Factors that Affect Paint Lifespan
Unfortunately, not every homeowner will be able to follow a strict timeline or see visible damage to their home’s exterior before determining it is time to hire a professional painter. These three factors are critical in determining how long your home’s paint will last:
1. The previous paint job
When you buy a house, it is ideal to know the last time the home was painted. Unfortunately, many new homeowners are deprived of this information and are left to guess when they should refresh their home’s exterior paint.
Our painting contractors can help you determine the state of your home’s exterior if you are unsure about when your home needs a new coat of exterior paint.
2. Weather conditions
The Indianapolis weather plays a vital role in determining the state of your home’s exterior, especially the lifespan of your paint. The weather can damage your home’s exterior paint in the following ways:
- Paint peeling and chipping occurs over time due to exposure to the elements.
- Moisture damage occurs when your damaged paint can no longer repel rain, ice, and sleet from permeating your home’s siding. Moisture in your siding can result in the presence of rot, mold, and discoloration inside your home.
- Paint fading occurs due to the exposure of your paint to the sun’s harmful UV rays.
Severe weather conditions may cause your paint to deteriorate at a more rapid pace. Our painting contractors can help you determine if your home requires a fresh coat of paint.
3. Exterior maintenance
Preventative maintenance is essential in determining your paint’s lifespan. As a homeowner, it is wise to be aware of rotting, mold growth, pests, and other damage to your home’s siding. A paint job will last longer and adhere more beautifully to a well-maintained home.
It is not worth the cost to hire a professional painter if your home’s exterior needs a siding replacement. As an Elite Preferred James Hardie® siding contractor, JD Hostetter provides expert siding replacement services to enhance the durability and beauty of your home’s exterior.
Enjoy a Beautiful, Professionally Painted Home with JD Hostetter & Associates
We understand that your home is one of your most significant investments, and you want it to look beautiful for years to come. One of the best ways to boost your home’s curb appeal is to invest in a professional home exterior paint job.
At JD Hostetter, our professional painters are happy to assist you with a thorough, conscientious exterior painting experience that results in a beautiful home. We only offer the best brands of paint to ensure your home receives impressive results.
Learn more about the incredible options available when you invest in an exterior paint job with JD Hostetter.